Current location: Publications
On the activities of Elkhan Suleymanov, MP from Shamakhi, Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of Euronest, member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
(January – September 2015)
Appeals of voters
From January 1, 2015 to September 20, 2015, MP from Shamakhi Elkhan Suleymanov collected from voters various types of appeals, including 46 written appeals, 19 of which were related to financial aid, 11 legal issues, and 16 social problems.
Moreover, Elkhan Suleymanov`s office received 128 oral appeals, 67 of which were connected to financial aid and personal issues, 8 legal affairs, and 53 social problems.
Each of appeals was thoroughly studied and appropriate measures taken. Inquiries were sent to relevant authorities regarding 12 appeals, 3 of which were implemented, 2 are being fulfilled, while 7 are still processed by the authorities. 22 appeals of voters were determined to be inconsistent with legal norms and relevant explanation was provided to the applicants.
Meeting with voters
On December 29, 2014, Holiday presents on behalf of MP Elkhan Suleymanov were delivered to 72 families of Kharabakh and January 20 martyrs. 1,150 children from Shamakhi kindergartens also received holiday gifts. By taking part in New Year celebration at the kindergarten No. 5 in Shamakhi, Elkhan Suleymanov delivered his congratulations and presents to 75 kids.
On March 7, 148 mother heroines from Shamakhi were congratulated and received presents on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
On March 19, MP Elkhan Suleymanov congratulated voters on the occasion of the Novruz Bayram. Holiday presents from him were delivered to 72 families of Kharabakh and January 20 martyrs.
On May 7, World War II veterans received congratulations and gifts on behalf of MP Elkhan Suleymanov.
On May 15, MP Elkhan Suleymanov attended Shamakhi Children Creativity Center to take part in the presentation ceremony of Shamakhi Encyclopedia created by 1905.az studio with his initiative and support. In his speech, Elkhan Suleymanov stressed out that the Encyclopedia would be an important and reliable source on Shamakhi and that its print version would soon be released.
The book titled “Shamakhi member of parliament – the fourth year” was also presented at the event.
On May 22, MP Elkhan Suleymanov attended at the 5th M. A. Sabir Recital Contest co-organized by Freedom of Speech Protection Fund (AFSF) and ACSDA. The winners were awarded with money rewards.
On June 2, MP Elkhan Suleymanov met with the literature teachers of the winners of the 5th M. A. Sabir Recital Contest and presented them gifts.
On July 12, MP Elkhan Suleymanov attended an Iftar ceremony at Shamakhi Juma Mosque.
On July 26, MP Elkhan Suleymanov attended the opening ceremony of water supply to Dag Bagirli village, Shamakhi and opening ceremony of the tenth Sabir spring. Later he took part in wedding party of Tural and Gunay, young Shamakhi residents.
On August 24, MP Elkhan Suleymanov met with Shamakhi-born students, who had got admitted to college with high scores, their parents and teachers. Immediately after the meeting, he set off for the remote village of Archiman, which is located 30 km away from the rayon center. In the village, he met with local residents in front of the new school building constructed with his initiative and support.
On September 15, MP Elkhan Suleymanov took part in the opening ceremony of the new school building constructed with his initiative and support. In his speech at the opening ceremony attended by local residents, representatives of the executive authorities and Shamakhi education department, Elkhan Suleymanov congratulated teaching staff and pupils. He told about his decision to build an additional school building given the small size of the local school, its difficulties in the education process and appeals of the villagers. Today, three 45-seat classrooms are ready for education. All pupils were also presented gifts.
On January 7, his explanatory comments were published regarding the Information Note on “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” by Mr. Pedro Agramunt, Rapporteur on Azerbaijan in the PACE Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights. The Information Note by the Rapporteur submitted both the positions of local NGOs and authorities on the information provided about the situation of human rights, as well as the considerations of international NGOs.
On January 22, local media published his article that emphasized the special chapter of the memorandum on PACE Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights “How to prevent inappropriate restrictions on NGO activities in Europe” dealing with the recent amendments to the Azerbaijani legislation on NGO activities and with the implementation of the new rules did not reflect the real situation.
On January 29, he submitted to the PACE Secretariat the motion for resolution on ensuring right of Dilgam Asgarov, a Russian citizen, and Shahbaz Guliyev, an Azerbaijani citizen, to fair trial; they have been taken hostage by Armenian soldiers and sentenced by the court of the separatist regime in Nagorno-Karabakh.
On February 9, he stated that Azerbaijan would not take part in the 4th session of the Euronest PA to be held in Yerevan on March 16-18 and emphasized that the organization tried to insure Armenia from sanctions and responsibility for its crimes against Azerbaijan.
On February 12, in interview with APA, he spoke about his initiatives – the resolutions regarding the situation that had emerged as a result of the Armenia`s invasion against Azerbaijan and 22-year occupation of our territories. The first documents deals with the threats of the Sarsang reservoir, which is currently in the occupied lands, to the humanitarian and environmental situation in the 6 frontline districts of Azerbaijan; the second one – with the rising tensions in Nagorno-Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan; the third one – with ensuring right to fair trial of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev, who have been taken hostages in Nagorno-Karabakh.
On March 5, he informed that the Presidential Committee of PACE adopted a resolution on the Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenia. According to Elkhan Suleymanov: “The resolution is the shortest and important step for making a decision at PACE on ensuring right of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev to fair trial.”
On March 11, he answered questions of APA on the details and expectations of the report on the eve of the visit of Robert Walter, the rapporteur of the Political Affairs Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe on the topic “Escalation of tension in Nagorno-Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan”.
On March 12, he sent a letter of protest to the President of PACE Anne Brasseur, the member of the Bureau of the Council of Europe, the Secretary General of the Council of Europe Thorbjorn Jagland, the Secretary General of PACE Wojciech Sawicki and the rapporteur Robert Walter regarding the serious mistake in the information provided by the official web resource of PACE and introduction the title of the report as the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, proposed that management authority over the official web resource of the organization to be given from the Secretary General of PACE to independent experts in order to prevent such problems in the future.
On March 16-19, he attended the meeting of the PACE Monitoring Committee in Paris.
On March 17, he informed about the 4th session of the Euronest PA, which was being held in Yerevan, Armenia and stressed that the conference had begun of the provocation of Armenian MPs.
On March 18, in his interview on the legitimacy of the adopted resolutions by the 50% members, who were present, at the 4th session of the Euronest PA in Yerevan, he stressed out that besides Azerbaijan, Moldova almost did not attend the session either. Moldova was represented by only one MP, while the delegations of Ukraine and Georgia were not full.” According to Elkhan Suleymanov, 4 resolutions were adopted at the session: “Resolution on engaging in a stronger partnership between the EU and Eastern European partner countries through the European Neighbourhood Instrument for 2014-2020” at the Political Committee, “Resolution on infrastructural cooperation between the EU and Eastern Partnership countries: joint road, rail and air transport projects” at the Economic Committee, “Resolution on challenges, potential and new engagement in cooperating on energy efficiency and renewable sources within the Eastern Partnership “ at the Energy Committee, “Resolution on culture and intercultural dialogue in the context of the Eastern Partnership” at the Sosial and Cultural Committee.
On April 8, he commented on a next anti-Azerbaijani statement of Human Rights Watch. Noting that the statement was announced on the eve of the visit of European Union Commissioner for European Neighbourhood Policy & Enlargement Negotiations Johannes Hahn to Baku, Elkhan Suleymanov said that a number of foreign NGOs had also published a similar anti-Azerbaijan statement ahead of the visit of European Union’s Special Representative for Human Rights Stavros Lambrinidis to Azerbaijan on February 23-26.
On April 13, he sent an appeal to the director of the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) Michael George Link for his visit to Baku as part of preparation for monitoring of the 2015 parliamentary elections. The appeal was also sent to the chairman of OSCE Ivica Dacic, the chairman of the OSCE PA Ilkka Kanerva, the President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz, President of PACE Anne Brasseur and the Secretary General of the Council of Europe Thorbjorn Jagland.
On April 16, as Vice President of Euronest PA and head of the Azerbaijani delegation, he addressed all members of the European Parliament in order to express his strong protest against the discussion and voting on the centenary of the so-called Armenian genocide, as well as the adopted resolution.
On April 18, in his address to President of PACE Anne Brasseur, he expressed his surprise by the press release on the PACE official website “President welcomes Armenia’s steady advancement on path of reform” dated on April 15; furthermore, he noted that the phrase “Nagorno-Karabakh conflict” was twice mentioned on the release, despite the repeated confirmation of PACE to officially express this conflict as “occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh and other seven districts of Azerbaijan” in its leading structures.
On June 3, the photo-album “Sketches on Baku” he had initiated, was re-published on the eve of Baku-2015, the first European Games. The first edition titled “20 sketches on Baku” had received the main award of the “Book Art” contest of the National Union of Publishers and Polygraphists.
On June 22, he took part and delivered a speech in the meeting of the group of the European People’s Party (EPP) in Strasbourg. The report on activities of democratic institutions in Azerbaijan prepared by co-rapporteurs Pedro Agramunt and Tadeusz Iwinski was discussed at the meeting. The MP said: “I am very disappointed with your attitude to the Armenian occupation of Azerbaijani lands. With your speech you deny the document dated June 16, 2015 of the European Court of Human Rights. In its judgment, the Court highlights the fact that Armenia has virtual control over Nagorno-Karabakh and surrounding areas. The document also confirms that Armenia bears international legal responsibility for human rights violations in Nagorno-Karabakh and adjacent districts.According to the Court, through its military presence and provision of military equipment and expertise, Armenia has been playing a significant role in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict since the very first days. Armenia`s military support remains crucial for the control of the territories.”
On June 25, he made a statement in regard with the report on activities of democratic institutions in Azerbaijan prepared by co-rapporteurs Pedro Agramunt and Tadeusz Iwinski; the document had been discussed and adopted on June 23, 2015 at the PACE summer session. Elkhan Suleymanov stressed that the representatives of the house of democracy and freedom supported the aggressor and aggression in the PACE June session.
On July 9, he sent a letter to President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz, chairwoman of the Development Committee Linda McAvan, chairman of Committee on Foreign Affairs elmar Brok. The letter is connected with the recommendations of Democracy Support and Election Coordination Group in the European Parliament to the President of the European Parliament. The letter characterizes the recommendation on not sending an observation mission to the November 2015 parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan as a result of the unprecedented campaign against our country.
On July 14, he congratulated the 88-year-old researcher Babakhan Niyazli on the occasion of his birthday at the meeting of the History Section of Scientific and Editorial Board of the Shamakhi Encyclopedia.
On July 29, he sent a letter to the co-chairs and Bureau members of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly. According to the letter, the fact that the Secretariat of the European Parliament assumes preparation of the draft report should be evaluated as ana attempt to preserve its influence on EaP countries.
On July 31, he appealed to the Mitch McConnell, the Majority Leader and Harry Reid, the Minority Leader of the U.S. Senate. The appeal was related to the letter, which had been signed by 16 senators and dealing with complaints of Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty.
On August 13, he made an important statement stressing that the Sarsang reservoir is dangerous weapon of Armenia against Azerbaijan on the eve of the visit of Milica Markovic, PACE Rapporteur for the motion on “Inhabitants of frontier regions of Azerbaijan are deliberately deprived of water” to Baku.
On August 19, he sent a letter of protest to President of European Parliament Martin Schulz. The letter was related to an address of Martin Schulz dated on August 15 concerning “the legal proceedings against Mrs. Leyla Yunus and Mr. Arif Yunus in connection with financial misconducts and tax evasion.”
On August 25, within the framework of her visit to Azerbaijan, Milica Markovic, PACE Rapporteur for the motion on “Inhabitants of frontier regions of Azerbaijan are deliberately deprived of water” met with members of the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan (ACSDA).
On September 2, he informed about the statement of Robert Walter, the rapporteur on the topic “Escalation of tension in Nagorno-Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan” at the PACE Committee. Robert Walter was appointed rapporteur at the PACE Committee on Political Affairs and Democracy on the basis of a draft resolution presented by Elkhan Suleymanov.
On September 10, he sent two letters to the European Parliament in connection with the resolution adopted by the EP. In his letter, he tanked the EP members, who were supporting friendship and cooperation with Azerbaijan. The other letter was addressed Marietje Schaake,
Ulrike Lunacek and other MPs supporting an anti-Azerbaijani campaign.
On September 12, he commented on the biased anti-Azerbaijani resolution adopted on September 9, 2015 by the European Parliament. “The biased anti-Azerbaijani resolution adopted by the European Parliament on September 9, 2015 faced serious protest in Azerbaijan. The adoption of the resolution was accompanied with both biased and non-objective nature of its text and many more great and planned processes. These processes deal with national interests of the Azerbaijan Republic in one form or another and constitute a part of wide-range campaign against our nation.” Elkhan Suleymanov, head of Azerbaijani delegation to Euronest PA told APA.
On September 21, his analytical piece titled “Analysis of recommendations of international organizations on the elections in Azerbaijan” was published in local press. The release of the Needs Assessment Mission (NAM) by OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) at the end of August 2015 in connection with the parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan to be held on November 1, 2015 and the combination of the issues regarding the election environment and process into 7 topics were emphasized in the article. They are gender equality, election commissions, appeal procedures, process of cadidate registration, freedom of assembly, election monitoring of NGOs, defamation rules and media. Elkhan Suleymanov noted that the ODIHR NAM report was thoroughly investigated by the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan
On September 23, he gave an interview to APA in connection with the visit of the PACE pre-election mission to Baku on September 21-22. Commenting on the visit of the mission that met with political parties (both represented and not represented in the parliament), human rights advocates, NGOs, civil society activists and mass media, Elkhan Suleymanov noted that anti-Azerbaijani forces were trying by all means to prevent PACE observation of Azerbaijani elections.
On the one-year activities of Elkhan Suleymanov, MP from Shamakhi, Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of Euronest, member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
(28.12.2013 – 31.12.2014)
Appeals of voters
From January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014, MP from Shamakhi Elkhan Suleymanov collected from voters various types of appeals, including 72 written appeals, 35 of which were related to financial aid, 20 legal issues, and 17 social problems.
Moreover, Elkhan Suleymanov`s office received 135 oral appeals, 85 of which were connected to financial aid and personal issues, 36 legal affairs, and 14 social problems.
Each of appeals was thoroughly studied and appropriate measures taken. Inquiries were sent to relevant authorities regarding 21 appeals, 3 of which were implemented, 4 are being fulfilled, while 14 are still processed by the authorities. 85 appeals of voters were determined to be inconsistent with legal norms and relevant explanation was provided to the applicants.
Meeting with voters
Over the past period, Elkhan Suleymanov had public meeting with voters from Shamakhi, press conferences and briefings, listened to proposals and problems of voters and held charity events, including:
- On December 28, 2013, MP Elkhan Suleymanov congratulated voters on the occasion of the New Year and the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis. Holiday presents from him were delivered to many Shamakhi residents, including 165 mother heroines, 72 families of Kharabakh and January 20 martyrs, 34 World War II veterans. Little ones from 22 Shamakhi kindergartens also received holiday gifts. Mr. Elkhan Suleymanov also took part in celebrations at a kindergarten in the village of Kichik Khinisli.
- On December 28, 2013, in his Shamakhi office Mr. Elkhan Suleymanov met with the winners of 2011-2013 M. A. Sabir recital competitions and students from Shamakhi, who had entered universities with high scores in the past 3 years, presented his holiday gifts and personal scholarships to over 60 persons.
- On March 7, 2014, 172 mother heroines from Shamakhi were congratulated and received presents on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- On March 19, 2014, MP Elkhan Suleymanov congratulated voters on the occasion of the Novruz Bayram. Holiday presents from him were delivered to many Shamakhi residents, including 165 mother heroines, 72 families of Kharabakh and January 20 martyrs, 32 World War II veterans.
- On March 28, 2014, the portal 1905.az was officially presented in Elkhan Suleymanov`s office within the press tour for reporters organized by the Association of Civil Society Development Aid (ACSDA) on the occasion of the Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis. Mr. Suleymanov provided detailed information on the portal, which was being presented on the eve of the 110th anniversary of the genocide against Azerbaijanis.
- On May 9, 2014, MP Elkhan Suleymanov met with World War II veterans and presented gifts as in the previous years.
- On May 15, 2014, a song contest for young talents form Shamakhi was declared with the support of MP Elkhan Suleymanov.
- On May 26, 2014, the paintings submitted for the “Cry of Sarsang” competition recently organized in Shamakhi by 1905.az and ACSDA were exhibited in the 1905.az mobile gallery.
- On May 31, 2014, the IV M. A. Sabir Recital Contest came to an end, the winners were awarded with prizes; the contest had been initiated by MP Elkhan Suleymanov and co-organized by Freedom of Speech Protection Fund (AFSF) and ACSDA.
- On June 4, 2014, the first Polish cosmonaut Miroslaw Hermaszewski invited to Azerbaijan by MP Elkhan Suleymanov visited Shamakhi. On the same day, Miroslaw Hermaszewski met with Mr. Elkhan Suleymanov in his Shamakhi office. Later a meeting with the first Polish cosmonaut was held at the E. Huseynov secondary school No. 2. The event was attended by the Head of Shamakhi Executive Power Asif Agayev. On June 5, 2014, Miroslaw Hermaszewski visited Shamakhi Astrophysical Observatory. It should be noted that the book by Miroslaw Hermaszewski “The Burdgen of Weightlessness” was translated into Azerbaijani by the Translation Laboratory of Heydar Aliyev’s Heritage Research Center (www.aliyevheritage.org).
- On July 12, 2014, a spring was inaugurated and an Iftar served in the village of Marzandiyya on the occasion of Ramadan.
- On July 17, 2014, an Iftar was served on the initiative of MP Elkhan Suleymanov in the Juma Mosque of Shamakhi.
- On September 10, 2014, on the eve of the new educational year MP Elkhan Suleymanov met with the Shamakhi educational employees and the students, who had got admitted to college with high scores. Mr. Suleymanov presented his personal scholarships to young teacher Roya Gurbanova and experienced teacher Suleyman Zarbaliyev, who has a 48-year experience of teaching.
- On September 10, 2014, a spring was inaugurated in the village of Malham with the initiative and support of MP Elkhan Suleymanov.
- On September 17, 2014, MP Elkhan Suleymanov met with pupils of the village of Erchiman and presented gifts to them.
- On October 3, 2014, MP Elkhan Suleymanov congratulated 72 families of Kharabakh and January 20 martyrs on the occasion of Kurban Bayram.
Domestic and international activities
In addition to his activities in Shamakhi, Elkhan Suleymanov successfully acts abroad as a member of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of Euronest, Deputy Chairman of the Parliamentary Assembly and member of the bureau, the chairman of the Azerbaijani-Belgian parliamentary friendship group. At his direct initiative, organization and support, a number of major projects and a variety of events have been held both in Azerbaijan and foreign countries. Those events include:
On January 24, a monument immortalizing the memory of the persons, who went missing in 1992-1993 during the Karabakh war, was inaugurated at the initiative and support of Elkhan Suleymanov and by the organizational support of the “Human Rights XXI Century Azerbaijan” Foundation, a member of the ACSDA; the inauguration took place in the area called the Martyrs Avenue in the Sabunchu district. The event was attended by members of parliament Elkhan Suleymanov and Fazil Mustafa, representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross, family members of the missing persons, employees of the State Commission on Hostages, Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing People, officials of the executive power of the Sabunchu District, representatives of NGOs and media. The speakers talked about the Karabakh war and mentioned the statistical figures on the KIAs and MIAs. It was also noted that the war has not been finished and our territorial integrity has not been restored yet.
In late January, as a member of the Azerbaijani delegation Elkhan Suleymanov participated in the PACE winter session, which discussed a number of issues such as the election of a new president and vice-presidents, the Magnitsky case, the impact of the Internet on politics, the integration of migrants in Europe.
On February 12, the Vice-President of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly (PA), the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Assembly Elkhan Suleymanov released a statement on the hearing held in the Advisory Committee of the European Parliament on February 11. The statement touched upon the claims of the Azerbaijani mass media on possible punishment of 9 members of the European Parliament, who observed the presidential elections on October 9, 2013: “I consider it important to clarify the claims spread by the Azerbaijani media that the members of the official mission on the observation of the October 9 presidential elections in Azerbaijan will be punished by the Advisory Committee. This information is inaccurate and was made hurriedly”. Elkhan Suleymanov emphasized that one of the main purposes of power centers, which do not stop pressures against Azerbaijan is to harm the image of Azerbaijan before the world community by presenting it as an authoritarian country, to get engaged the Azerbaijani public in these issues by continuously addressing biased allegations, to distract Azerbaijan’s attention from 20% of its territories, including Nagorno-Karabakh and 7 surrounding regions occupied by Armenia for more than 20 years and to make Azerbaijan take hands off these territories.
On February 20, an updated and amended book “Khojaly-1992” was printed by Heydar Aliyev’s Heritage Research Center. Published in Azerbaijani, English, French and Russian languages, the book is dedicated to the memory of the victims of the genocide committed by Armenian armed forces. The chapter “Style of the aggressors” contains photos of the victims of the Armenian atrocities. It should be noted that the first edition of the book was published on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide. The consultant of the book and the author of the preface is the president of the ACSDA Elkhan Suleymanov.
In the meeting of the Monitoring Committee of the PACE on February 28, the member of the Azerbaijani delegation Elkhan Suleymanov made a speech about the blockade of Nakhchivan and humanitarian disaster regarding the Sarsang water reservoir, as well as the economic, environmental, biological consequences associated with it. According to him, the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, which has a population of 410,000, is an Azerbaijani territory blockaded by Armenia for nearly 25 years: “As a result of the blockade, the Nakhchivan people had their rights violated, suffered great hardships, while the economic and social situation in the region remains difficult. Having occupied 20% of Azerbaijan`s territory, Armenian threatens to annex Nakhchivan, too. Considering that the Nakhchivan residents face the constant threat, we see the everyday life is under high pressure in this dangerous zone”. Elkhan Suleymanov noted that no international organization, including the PACE has ever held any hearing or discussion on the blockade of Nakhchivan, or adopted any document for 25 years. It was proposed in the Monitoring Committee that the co-rapporteurs on Armenia and Azerbaijan conduct research on blockade of Nakhchivan and the humanitarian situation regarding the Sarsang reservoir and include these issues in their report, while the Council of Europe always keep under control.
In his address to the European institutions on March 18, Elkhan Suleymanov criticized them for their double standards. By declaring his support to Ukraine’s territorial integrity and the inadmissibility of changing its internationally recognized borders, he noted that the problems facing Ukraine were characteristic for Azerbaijan too. By emphasizing that 20% of Azerbaijan`s territory has been under Armenian occupation for 24 years, Elkhan Suleymanov demanded European structures show the same level of support, through declarations and supportive actions for Azerbaijan and its territorial integrity.
On March 27, Elkhan Suleymanov addressed a letter to Mr. Joe Biden, USA Vice-President and Mr. John Boehner, Speaker of House of Representatives. In his address, he noted strong discrepancies in the behavior of the United States in regard to such illegal attacks against the territorial integrity and sovereignty of countries in the Eurasian area. He asked the reason why US Congress does not analogically support the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan against the background that the United States Congress as well as U.S. leading figures, including President Barack Obama, have been condemning the breach of international laws, and both the U.S.A. and the EU have adopted sanctions against Russia. According to Elkhan Suleymanov, Nagorno-Karabakh is not a frozen conflict and that it deserves just as much attention as does the crisis in Ukraine. He also stressed possible grave implications of the Armenian occupation for the future.
On March 28, the ACSDA organized a press tour to Shamakhi on the occasion of March 31 – the Day of Genocide of the Azerbaijanis. The 50-member delegation consisting of historians, archaeologists and reporters visited the villages of Sharadil, Sagiyan and Mirikend, listened to the residents, who recalled the atrocities committed by the Armenians on March 31 – April 3, 1918, and attended the spots, where the Azerbaijanis were killed with special brutality. Within the press tour, the journalists attended the presentation of the portal www.1905.az in the office of Elkhan Suleymanov, MP from Shamakhi. In his speech, Elkhan Suleymanov noted that 1905.az was inaugurated on the eve of the 110th anniversary of the genocide of Azerbaijanis. He also spoke about the history of the genocidal policy of the Armenians against Azerbaijanis and the socio-political roots of the tragedies. The director of the portal Fuad Babayev, PhD, provided information on the principle of the activities of the new electronic resource.
It was announced on April 2 that the draft resolution submitted by E. Suleymanov and signed by members of the parliament representing 14 European nations would be considered at the Presidential Commission of the Council of Europe on Sunday, April 6. According to the draft resolution, over 400,000 people residing Azerbaijan’s frontier regions (Agjabadi, Agdam, Barda, Goranboy, Tartar, Yevlakh) face serious humanitarian, economic, environmental and biological threats due to acute water shortage since the Sarsand water reservoir remains under the Armenian occupation.
On April 11, the draft resolution of Elkhan Suleymanov on the situation regarding the Sarsang reservoir and its threats to the population of the adjacent territories was considered in the the Bureau of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe. Having discussed the issue, the Bureau confirmed the decision of the Executive Committee and sent it to the Social Committee to appoint a rapporteur.
On April 14, Elkhan Suleymanov`s analysis the real international attitude to the occupation of Azerbaijani lands was published in local media. The article examined the following:
Armenia`s invasion and severe consequences of the occupation, the Sarsang reservoir, which is under occupation, as a threat to the bordering provinces, the blockade of Nakhchivan as a factor preventing the development of the region, differences between the Crimea and Nagorno-Karabakh problems, lack of equal, international support to Azerbaijan, which supports Ukraine`s territorial integrity, the fate of the Eastern Partnership, the Azerbaijan-EU strategic relations, the Azerbaijan-EU energy cooperation, the discrimination Azerbaijan faces in international organizations.
On April 16, Elkhan Suleymanov evaluated diverting the draft resolution “Population of Azerbaijan`s frontier districts are deliberately deprived of water” nominated by himself and other 27 MPs representing 11 European countries, to the Social Affairs, Health and Sustainable Development Committee.
He said that the report and resolution of the PACE on the Sarsang water storage reservoir created a new opportunity for Azerbaijan. If the truth on the situation is reflected in the report and we are able to implement it, the resolution can turn into a historical document. Perhaps, it will not immediately become history, but the time will prove its importance. Certainly, preparing a report based on specific examples on the situation of 400,000 residents, who are not IDPs and refugees like a million Azerbaijanis but suffer from the occupation, will make an impact right away. It will once again deliver the fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands to the attention of the international community.
On April 18, a regional meeting within the framework of the “Cry of Sarsang” project launched by the Association of Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan (ASCDA) was held in Heydar Aliyev Palace, Yevlakh. The participants were informed about the “Cry of Sarsang” competition among young artists and journalists and the winners were awarded. The President of ACSDA, MP Elkhan Suleymanov delivered a speech on “The importance of informing the international community about the present state of the Sarsang water reservoir and possible threats it may cause”.
On April 28, the book on the prominent Azerbaijani statesman Mahammad Amin Rasulzade by the researcher Nasiman Yagublu was printed in English within the project of the Association for Civil Society Development. The book contains the chronology of the main nuances of Mahammad Amin Rasulzade`s life and activities, as well as a number of photos and documents.
On April 29, Elkhan Suleymanov`s statement on the ACSDA project regarding the 110th anniversary of the genocidal policy committed by Armenians against Azerbaijanis. The statement reads: “The main objective of this project is to inform the international community on the planned and systematic armed attacks killings, massacres and genocide of the Armenian chauvinists against Azerbaijanis starting from 1905… The Armenians all over the world are going to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the so-called genocide of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire. One of the goals of our project is to inform the world community about these false claims and the facts that they were not subject to any genocide 100 years ago, and that on the contrary, Armenians launched genocide crimes against the Azerbaijani people 110 years ago. In short, our main goal is to shatter 100 years’ old Armenian lie and hypocrisy and to inform the world community that Armenians are not the nation exposed to genocide, on the contrary, they committed genocide crimes against Azerbaijani people. The portal www.1905.az functions for a month. The website contains documents, scientific studies on the issue, researches and interviews with prominent specialists. The project aims to publish books in different languages, to hold international conferences, and to regularly place articles in the world media.
On May 12, Elkhan Suleymanov issued a statement on activation of a number of anti-Azerbaijan organizations on the eve of May 14, the date when Azerbaijan was to accept the chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers, the supreme body of the Council of Europe. According to him, the above-mentioned organizations are trying to synchronize their campaign against Azerbaijan with special accuracy. Another interesting point is that those institutions against employed their favorite topic of “political prisoners” in their campaign. The statement reads: “The main objectives of these organizations is to harm Azerbaijan`s reputation, to distract Azerbaijan from priority issues, especially from the activities against the Armenian aggression and to make it forget the fact of occupation by proving the violation of human rights here”.
On May 12, Milica Markovic from Bosnia and Herzegovina was appointed rapporteur on the basis of draft resolution “Inhabitants of frontier regions of Azerbaijan are deliberately deprived of water” submitted by Elkhan Suleymanov.
On May 21, Elkhan Suleymanov`s statement was released; the statement expressed concern over the call of James Warlich, the American co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, on both Armenia and Azerbaijan to co-exploit the Sarsang water reservoir. According to Elkhan Suleymanov, the message of the American co-chair on joint exploitation on the eve of the appointment of an OSCE rapporteur on the Sarsang reservoir is not coincidental. Warlick`s statement serves to specific purposes and deliberately seeks to influence the researches of the rapporteur on the reservoir.
On June 2, at the invitation of Elkhan Suleymanov, the first Polish cosmonaut Miroslaw Hermaszewski visited Baku. The book by Miroslaw Hermaszewski “The Burdgen of Weightlessness”, which was translated from Polish into Azerbaijani by the Translation Laboratory of Heydar Aliyev’s Heritage Research Center, was also presented during his visit. The guest also met with the Baku Slavic University students studying Polish language and officials of Azerkosmos. Later he also visited Shamakhi.
On June 13, at the Belgium Congress of the Eurasian Association of Appraisers, Elkhan Suleymanov gave a statement commenting the discussions on the material and moral damage caused to Azerbaijan by Armenian aggression. According to Suleymanov, the book “Armed aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan and severe consequences of the occupation” co-authored by him and published two years back was also printed in English, Russian, French and Ukrainian in Washington D.C., Saint Petersburg, Paris and Kiev respectively. The book was published in the Arabic language as well. As of early 2011, the amount of material damage to Azerbaijan exceeds USD 431 billion, Suleymanov said.
On June 14, Elkhan Suleymanov addressed an appeal to President of PACE Anne Brasseur, Secretary-General of the Council of Europe Thorbjørn Jagland, Secretary- General of PACE Wojciech Sawicki, members of the Executive Committee, members of the Bureau of the Council of Europe. In his statement, Elkhan Suleymanov noted that he had prepared a draft resolution demanding sanctions against Armenia for armed occupation of Azerbaijani lands. The draft resolution was signed by 58 PACE members from 14 countries; its soft copy was sent to the Secretariat of the Council of Europe on June 7. Elkhan Suleymanov expressed his hope that the organization would demonstrate unbiasedness regarding the draft resolution.
On June 18, Elkhan Suleymanov made a statement regarding nominating a draft resolution on sanctions against Armenia. The draft demands replicate sanctions, which are imposed against Russia because of Ukraine, against Armenia, suspending voting rights and excluding it from leading bodies, until the end of the Armenian occupation of Azerbaijani lands. E. Suleymanov noted that the document, according to the procedure rules, must be discussed in the Executive Committee on June 22 and in a Bureau meeting on June 23 prior to the session.
On June 21, Elkhan Suleymanov addressed a letter to the Executive Committee and Bureau members, President of PACE Anne Brasseur, Secretary-General of the Council of Europe Thorbjørn Jagland, Secretary-General of PACE Wojciech Sawicki. The letter noted that the competent political bodies of the PACE, starting with the comment of the Executive Committee on June 22 and the decision of the Bureau on June 27, must produce a normal political decision regarding the draft resolution on sanctions against the Armenian delegation. Noting that an open and comprehensive discussion on the illegal and armed occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia is never possible at the PACE for some mysterious reason, Elkhan Suleymanov urged to stop the activities of some forces aimed at removing from the discussions the draft resolution that demands sanctions against Azerbaijan.
On June 23, the meeting of the Executive Committee of the PACE discussed in Strasbourg the motion for resolution demanding the application of sanctions against Armenia for its occupation of Azerbaijani territories, submitted under the authorship of Elkhan Suleymanov, the member of the Azerbaijani delegation to the PACE. The Executive Committee decided to send the motion to the PACE Bureau for discussing it in the next stage and adopting a relevant decision.
On June 24, Elkhan Suleymanov addressed an appeal to President of PACE Anne Brasseur, Secretary-General of the Council of Europe Thorbjørn Jagland, Secretary- General of PACE Wojciech Sawicki. In his address, Elkhan Suleymanov protested the last minute procedural objection of Sawicki against the motion on the sanctions and emphasizes once again that when Azerbaijan`s demands are legitimate, administrative obstacles emerge over and over again the last minute. The Member of Parliament called on to prevent cases when corporate interests of some forces are preferred to the basic principles of Council of Europe.
On June 25, in his interview with APA, Elkhan Suleymanov noted that the renewed discussions of the “political prisoner problem” in Azerbaijan at the PACE Committee is a bright example of further pressure on Azerbaijan, as well as of discrimination and double standards against our country.
On June 28, Elkhan Suleymanov held a press conference on the results of the PACE summer session on June 23-27 in Strasbourg. First, he called the proposal of the resolution “Azerbaijan`s chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What should be done about human rights?” by the Irish MP Robert McNamara part of the campaign organized in a disgusting form. Elkhan Suleymanov informed that the motion for resolution demanding the application of sanctions against Armenia for its occupation of Azerbaijani territories, submitted under his authorship and signed by 58 members of PACE from 14 countries was also discussed: “This document is the first motion for resolution demanding the application of sanctions against Armenia for its occupation of Azerbaijani territories, tabled in an international organization, i.e. within PACE for 22 years”.
On August 21, the book “Armed aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan and severe consequences of the occupation” co-authored by Elkhan Suleymanov, MP from Shamakhi and Vurgun Suleymanov, doctor of economic sciences, was published in Ukrainian at Ukraine’s influential publishing house “Naukova Dumka”. In his foreword to the Washington edition of book, former U.S. Congressman Solomon Ortiz described it: “With detailed documentation on committed atrocities and damage in one volume, this book, which is supposed for international and legal activity, serves the humanity”.
On August 25, MP Elkhan Suleymanov addressed an appeal to President of PACE Anne Brasseur, Secretary- General of the Council of Europe Thorbjørn Jagland, Secretary-General of PACE Wojciech Sawicki. The address criticized the Secretary-General for his biased attitude towards the draft resolutions earlier prepared by Elkhan Suleymanov`s initiative and emphasized that the PACE refrains from discussing Azerbaijan`s seven adjacent districts, which remain under Armenia`s occupation.
On August 28, an article by Elkhan Suleymanov was published. Noting the recent activation of anti-Azerbaijani forces in international organizations, including the PACE, it talked about the launch of a large-scale campaign with political prisoner claims against our country. It was also noted several national NGOs operating in Azerbaijan had established cooperation with anti-Azerbaijani forces and got funded from external sources. Fulfilling the order of their sources, those NGOs compiled lists of political prisoners and were actively involved in the campaign against Azerbaijan based on these claims on political prisoners.
On September 2, in his interview with APA, Elkhan Suleymanov answered questions on the armed conflicts in Iraq and Syria, the goals and targets of the terrorist groups in those countries, the activities of the world community activities and the role of Azerbaijan in preventing those events.
On September 2, the Bureau meeting of the PACE held in Paris decided to send the draft resolution authored by Elkhan Suleymanov to the Political Committee for appointing a rapporteur.
On September 4, as a result of historical voting with 20 in favor and 5 against, the PACE Bureau made a decision to direct to the PACE Political Affairs Committee the motions for resolution authored and nominated by Elkhan Suleymanov. The exact title of the report, which caused quite a sharp controversy, was finally accepted as “Rise of tensions in Nagorno-Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan” by the majority after the refusal of three persons to vote. Elkhan Suleymanov noted that the historic significance of the results of the voting.
On September 9, Elhkan Suleymanov`s article on the Paris meeting of the PACE Monitoring Committee meeting held on September 3 was published. The paper contains the records of the author in connection with the information of the co-rapporteurs, who visited Azerbaijan on May 19-21, 2014 within the monitoring procedure.
On September 17, Elkhan Suleymanov addressed the President and members of the European Parliament, as well as the co-chairs of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly regarding the urgent draft motion for resolution tabled by German MP Alexander Graf Lambsdorff on behalf of the ALDE Group. The document noted the launch of biased campaigns and sharp attacks by several politicians of the European Parliament and other European institutions against Azerbaijan, which is one of the member-countries of the EU`s Eastern Partnership and particular activity of the German MP Alexander Graf Lambsdorf and his close associates.
On September 20, the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to Euronest PA Elkhan Suleymanov sent a letter to protest to the co-chairs of the Euronest PA and Bureau members in connection with organizing a Euronest session in Armenia. In the address the Azerbaijani delegation opposed holding PA sessions, as well as Bureau and committee meetings in Armenia and expressed its refusal to participate in such sessions and meeting until Nagorno-Karabakh region and 7 surrounding districts are liberated.
On September 24, Elkhan Suleymanov addressed to the President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz, all members of the European Parliament and the Bureau members of Euronest except the Armenian representatives. In his address, Elkhan Suleymanov called Euronest an unsuccessful initiative, by noting that it was an attempt to create a new international forum for discussion but is currently characterized by restlessness, banality and double standards. According to him, the Euronest, despite being proclaimed an institution capable to deal with the biggest concerns of the Eastern Partners, behaves as if the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding regions of Azerbaijan were not occupied by Armenian troops.
On September 27, Elkhan Suleymanov had an interview with APA. He replied the questions on the issues on the agenda of the PACE fall session, expectations about the report on the Sarsang water reservoir, the situation regarding the preparation of the report “Rise of tensions in Nagorno-Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan”, the rapporteur of the Political Affairs Committee, the human rights in Azerbaijan.
On September 29, the member of the Azerbaijani delegation to the PACE Elkhan Suleymanov informed about the decision made at the plenary session in Strasbourg regarding the report “Rise of tensions in Nagorno-Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan”; this task was sent to the Political Affairs Committee.
On September 30, the first information memorandum by Milica Markovic, MP from Bosnia and Hersogovina and Rapporteur for the motion on “Inhabitants of frontier regions of Azerbaijan are deliberately deprived of water” tabled by Elkhan Suleymanov, member of Azerbaijani Delegation to PACE was put into discussion.
On October 1, a meeting of the Committee on Political Affairs and Democracy was held within the PACE fall session. According to Elkhan Suleymanov, Robert Walter was appointed the rapporteur for preparing the report “Rise of tensions in Nagorno-Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan” based on the decision adopted by the PACE Bureau on September 2 and confirmed by the plenary session on September 29, in connection with the draft resolution nominated by him. Having received 35 votes, Robert Walter exceeded the French MP Jean-Claude Mignon by 3 votes.
On October 3, Elkhan Suleymanov informed that the PACE Committee on Legal Affairs approved the statement of Ms. Mailis Reps (ALDE) of Estonia, who has a sharp position against Azerbaijan on a controversial issue – the claims on political prisoners. According to Elkhan Suleymanov, the aggressive and hostile speech of Ms. Reps made hurriedly in front of a small number of MPs was obviously prepared by the Secretariat of the Committee, as the text repeated the proposals, which were previously issued by the Secretariat but have not been confirmed by official reports of the Committee. The negative and biased position of the PACE Committee on Legal Affairs is well known, when it comes to Azerbaijan.
On October 9, an article titled “The occupied territories are finally in the agenda of the international community again” by Elkhan Suleymanov was published. In his writing, the author comprehensively told about the long and complicated process, as well as the obstacles regarding appointing a rapporteur on the report “Rise of tensions in Nagorno-Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan”. Elkhan Suleymanov also expressed his hope on preparation of the fair, impartial and thorough report on the Sarsang water reservoir in 2015. The article also criticized the activities of some persons in the leadership of the Council of Europe.
On October 14, an article titled “Views on Euronest” by Elkhan Suleymanov was published. The activity of the European Parliament was criticized in the paper: “Despite the facts that the occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia is admitted by every country in the world, the violation of human rights in Armenia and Armenia`s signing an agreement with Russia on the Customs Union, neither the European Parliament nor the Euronest criticize Armenia. Logically, Armenian should no longer be in the Euronest since it has joined the Customs Union; it seems, however, that the Europeans ignore these facts because of the Armenian lobby that puts much pressure on them to criticize and attack only Azerbaijan. Such bias complicates true and fair cooperation and poisoned the Euronest from the beginning”. The author regarded the Euronest as a weak organization with no legislative power.
On October 21, Elkhan Suleymanov sent his protest to the European People’s Party chairmanship and its group in the European Parliament in connection with the attitude and statements of the EPP member Frank Engel. The letter of the protest was sent to the chairman of EPP Joseph Daul, the secretary general of EPP Antonio López- Istúriz, the chairman of EPP Group in the European Parliament Manfred Weber, the secretary general of the EPP Group in the European Parliament Martin Kamp. The letter said that Mr. Engel, the head of the EPP Delegation from Luxembourg, had recently decided to chair the so-called “Nagorno-Karabakh Group” in the European Parliament. His movement professed to support the self-entitled authorities of those territories, as well as to organize visits of MEPs and European politicians to the area now and in future.
On October 31, Elkhan Suleymanov informed the discussion of two issues related to Azerbaijan at the PACE Committee on Legal Affairs assembled in the Spanish Parliament, Madrid. According to Suleymanov, a hearing, followed by questions and debates, was held on the revised introductory memorandum on “How to prevent inappropriate restrictions on NGO activities in Europe” prepared by Rapporteur Yves Cruchten, Socialist MP from Luxemburg. An important part of this document heavily attacked Azerbaijan, but was based on wrong facts, and jumped to biased conclusions. Next to that Rapporteur Pedro Agramunt, Popular Party MP from Spain, proposed his Information Note on ”Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?”, which deals in particular with individual cases of alleged political prisoners. As the rapporteur also included standpoint by Azerbaijan on most issues, not only one-sided standpoint of NGOs, this text was more balanced, as it reflected both opinions on this sensitive matter. In his speech during the debates, Elkhan Suleymanov called on both the rapporteur and the Committee members to approach these issues purely legally. Mr. Suleymanov`s speech was supported by several members of the Committee.
On November 4-5, the meetings of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly committees on political affairs, human rights and democracy, economic integration, energy security, social issues, education, culture and civil society. Elkhan Suleymanov attended the meetings.
On November 7, Elkhan Suleymanov had an interview with APA; he evaluated the results of the recent meetings of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, answered the questions on the EU sanctions against Russia, the presentation of the head of the Election Department of the OSCE / ODIHR, the prospects of the partnership between the European Union and Eastern European countries, the position of the Armenian members of parliament regarding Suleymanov`s speech and proposals.
On November 8, a ceremony of remembrance was co-organized by the ACSDA, “Human Rights Foundation of XXI century” and the Joint Working Group on Implementation of International Standards of Human Rights on the occasion of the Flag Day in front of monument immortalizing the memory of the persons, who went missing, in the area called the Martyrs Avenue in the Sabunchu district.
Elkhan Suleymanov took part in the meeting of the Monitoring Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe in Paris on November 14, in the meetings of the PACE Standing Committee and the Bureau in Brussels on November 17-18. The post-monitoring dialogue with Monaco, the results of the recent elections in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Tunisia, Moldova and Ukraine and other topics were discussed at the meetings.
On November 20, Elkhan Suleymanov expressed his position regarding the new materials prepared by the European Stability Initiative known for its anti-Azerbaijani rhetoric. The objectives of the above-mentioned organization were characterized by him: “The pre-programmed purposes of the European Stability Initiative are clear: to undermine political stability and to create disturbances in Azerbaijan. However, this organization and its ideologists should understand that it is impossible to deceive the Azerbaijani society with such calls. The pressure attempts of international organizations, including the European Stability Initiative by claiming about deteriorating human rights and existence of political prisoners in Azerbaijan have a target in the background: to serve the aggression of Armenia and to distract attention from efforts on liberating the occupied lands”.
On December 3, Elkhan Suleymanov addressed to the President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz. Having recalled his 3 appeals to Martin Schulz in recent months, Elkhan Suleymanov answered that he had received a reply to only one of them. According to Suleymanov, “These two letters include the address dated September 16, 2014 regarding some information covered in urgent motion for resolution submitted by German MP
Between December 1, 2012 and December 31, 2013, various types of letters, appeals and complaints, as well as 134 written requests from voters were received by Elkhan Suleymanov. Out of them, 12 were related to social problems, 46 to economic problems, 76 to other problems, including requests for financial aid.
In addition, the voters made 82 oral requests, out of which 21 were related to social problems, 15 to economic problems, 46 to other problems.
All the appeals were thoroughly studied, and relevant measures were taken regarding each of them. Requests regarding 26 appeals were made to relevant
authorities; 2 of them were about to be implemented, while the remaining 16 are at relevant bodies, and no answer has been received yet. 115 petitions were considered irrelevant and the appeals were given proper explanation.
Meetings with voters
Over the past period 26 meetings with the voters from Shamakhi, as well as 30 press conferences and briefings were held, proposals and problems of voters were heard, charity events were organized. Moreover
– On December 29, 2012, meetings were held with Shamakhi voters on the occasion of the New Year, all children (1,150 children in total) in Shamakhi kindergartens were given New Year gifts;
– On January 10, 2013, a media briefing took palce, 15 journalists were congratulated on the occasion of the New Year, a meeting with voters was held following the briefing;
– Financial assistance was provided to Shamakhi resident Vasila Panahova for medical treatment of her child;
– The annual tuition fee of Shamakhi resident Gulgun Hashimova, who is the 2nd year student of Baku State University, was paid;
– Monthly scholarship was allocated for Zohra Mammadova, student of Shamakhi Humanities College;
– On January 24, 2013, the official presentation of the book «15 buildings by 5 Polish architects” was held;
– On February 3, 2013, a press conference was held in regard to the results of the visit to Poland;
– On February 15, 2013, the official ceremony of the book ”Member of the Parliament from Shamakhi – 2 years” took place;
– On March 7, 2013, a meeting with mothers with many children was held, 160 Mother Heroines were congratulated with presents on the occasion of the International Women’s Day;
– On March 12, 2013, the book ”Shamakhi as a target of Red Terror: Repressions of the 1930s -1940s” was officially presented;
– On March 16, 2013, 70 Karabakh martyr families, scholarshipholders` families and 300 families in the village of Gizmeydan, Shamakhi were delivered holiday presents on the occasion of Novruz holiday;
– On March 28, 2013, meetings with voters took place in the villages of Gushchu, Melikchobanli, Baghirli, Marzandiyya and in the settlement of Sabir,
– On March 29, 2013, the presentation of the book ”The Armenian vandalism against the Azerbaijanis:Shamakhi genocide in 1918” took place;
– On March 30, 2013, a meeting with the voters was organized at the MP office in Shamakhi;
– On May 8, 2013, holiday gifts were presented to the Great Patriotic War veterans in the meeting with them;
– On May 15, 2013, a meeting with the voters was organized at the MP office in Shamakhi;
– On May 21, 2013, awards were presented to the participants of the final stage of the 3rd recitation competition”Sabir – 150”;
– On May 23, 2013, the annual conference of the Parliamentary Network of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund was arranged in the Gulustan Palace, Baku;
– On May 25, 2013, an event was held to mark the start of the project ”Sarsang – preventing the humanitarian catastrophe”;
– On July 20, 2013, a meeting was held with the Baghirli residents on the occasion of opening the Sabir spring in the village;
– On July 23, 2013, an iftar supper was organized on the occasion of Ramadan in the settlement of Sabir;
– On July 29, 2013, an iftar supper was organized on the occasion of Ramadan in the village of Malham;
– On July 29, 2013, an iftar supper was organized on the occasion of Ramadan in the village of Muganli;
– On August 6, 2013, an iftar supper was organized on the occasion of Ramadan in the city of Shamakhi;
– During in the July of 2013, under charity measures the ablution room of Jabany village mosque was renovated, sound amplifiers were presented to the
mosques in the village of Jabany and in the settlement of Sabir, two doors and stairs of Malham village school were repaired;
– On September 7, 2013, the international conference ”SOS Sarsang” was held within the framework of the project ”Sarsang – preventing the humanitarian
– On September 9, 2013, a meeting with the pupils and students with high scores was held at the MP office in Shamakhi and they were presented gifts;
– On September 16, 2013, gifts were presented to teachers and pupils of the schools in the villages of Avakhil, Marzandiyya, Malham, Engekharan and in the settlement Yusif Mammadaliyev in Shamakhi on the occasion of the start of the new academic y ear;
– On October 4, 2013, the presentation of the photo- album ”Sketches on Baku” and the book ”Historical Azerbaijani states” took place;
– On October 15-16, 2013, gifts were presented to the families of martyrs, to the families of disabled Karabakh veterans, the families of pupils and students
with hish achievements, to the families of Shamakhi students (52 people in total), who receive scholarship from Elkhan Suleymanov, on the occasion
of Gurban Bayram (Eid al-Adha);
– Throughout the year, the winners (a total of 19 persons) of the Sabir recitation contest were congratulated on the occasion of their birthdays;
– In September 2013, one-year tuition fee was paid to Shamakhi resident Agil Eyyubov, who studies in Turkey;
– In total, 52 pupils and students in Shamakhi district are given monthly scholarships by Elkhan Suleymanov. Moreover, each of 31 winners of the Sabir
recitation contest receives 50 manats monthly, while each of 19 students, who have scored more than 600 points, between 2010 and 2013 is paid 100 manat
– Furthermore, the Shamakhi residents Jalal Karimov and Jeyhun Isgenderov, who study in Germany and Switzerland respectively are also holders of monthly scholarships; Elkhan Suleymanov`s assistants received 76 voters and considered their appeals.
Domestic and international activities
Along with his activities in Shamakhi district, MP Elkhan Suleymanov successfully carries out international activities as a member of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, deputy chairman of the Parliamentary Assembly and Bureau member, head of the Azerbaijani-Belgian working group on inter-parliamentary relations. On his direct initiatives, support and organization, numerous projects and various
events were held both in Azerbaijan and other countries. These projects and events include:
– Under the idea and support of MP Elkhan Suleymanov, the book ”Shamakhi as a target of Red Terror:
Repressions of the 1930-1940s” was printed and presented at the beginning of January. The book consists of the foreword written by E.Suleymanov, the chapters titled ”Takla tragedy” (I), ”Court proceeding in Shamakhi in the October 1937” (II), ”Shamakhi victims of repression” (III). One of the interesting features of this work co-authored by MP Elkhan Suleymanov, PhD in history M.Zulfugarli and PhD in history D.Musayev is to show the reasons why the Azerbaijanis fell victims of repressions more than other nations during the Communist regime. It also provides information about the officials who carried out the repressions in Shamakhi then. The book is the first comprehensive research work dealing with the repressions that took place in Shamakhi in the 1930s. The oral history, memories of eyewitnesses in addition to the written sources were also used in preparing the book. The authors had an access to a wide range of documents stored in the archives of the Ministry of National Security and related to the criminal cases. This book is a very important source about the horrors of the repression period and for bringing up the
young generation in patriotic and national spirit.
– On January 14, in response to the information on the inauguration of Khankendi (Khojali) airport by the separatist regime of Nagorno-Karabakh, the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly MP Elkhan Suleymanov made a statement. The statement says that the sky over Nagorno-Karabakh is an integral part of the air space of Azerbaijan and the 1944 Chicago Convention on Civil Aviation would have been violated had the occupation regime carried out civil aviation flights using the air space over Nagorno-Karabakh: ”Flights in this air space can be carried out only with the consent of the State Civil Aviation Administration of Azerbaijan, and no other organization has authority to allow using this air space. In this respect, no international organization can issue a license to the occupation regime for using the Khankendi (Khojali) airport. The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC) must clearly demonstrate their position on this issue.
– At the initiative of MP Elkhan Suleymanov, the January 20 martyrs were commemorated with respect as every year. On the occasion of the 23rd anniversary of the bloody events, Elkhan Suleymanov`s authorized representative Dayanat Musayev together with a few Shamakhi intelligentsia visited the relatives of Vidadi Mammadov and Aganazar Israilov, who perished for our freedom and independence. Condolences and offerings were delivered to their families and relatives on behalf of Elkhan Suleymanov.
– On January 21, discussions on Azerbaijan were held at PACE winter session, and the 4-year progress report on the implementation of the commitments Azerbaijan had taken to the Council of Europe was adopted. Made by Elkhan Suleymanov at the meeting of the Monitoring Committee, two proposals on
Armenia`s occupaton of the Azerbaijani lands through military aggression and finding a compromise between the government and organizers of protests were also adopted by the Assembly. Prepared by corapporteurs Joseph Debono Grech and Pedro Agramunt on behalf of the PACE Monitoring Committee, the report on Azerbaijan`s commitments to the Council of Europe and prepared by rapporteur Christopher Strasser on behalf of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights, the report on the situation of political prisoners in Azerbaijan were presented at the plenary session of the Assembly. Both documents were discussed together, and nearly 60 parliamentarians spoke about the reports. The main discussions were conducted on the second report. The report on implementing the commitments was adopted after voting, while the second report on political prisoners in Azerbaijan was not adopted at the plenary session of the Assembly. It can be considered another success of the Azerbaijani delegation, as investigating the issue of political prisoners only in Azerbaijan among 47 member-countries of the Council of Europe demonstrated double standards towards our country.
– On January 24, on the initiative of MP Elkhan Suleymanov, a new book was printed on the eve of the visit of the Azerbaijani delegation to Poland from
January 30 to February 3. The book-album ”15 buildings by 5 Polish architects” prepared by the personal web-site of Elkhan Suleymanov is in Azerbaijani, Polish and English. The books tells about the magnificent buildings constructed by renowned Polish architects – Józef Gosławski, Kazimierz Skórewicz, Eugene Skibinski, Józef Płoszko, Konstantin Borisoglebski in 1893-1913 in Baku. The project was carried out under the supervision of Elkhan Suleymanov, while Fuad Babayev was in charge of printing. The book containts photos by Elchin T. Aliyev, Farid Khayrullin, Mirnaib Hasanoglu and Polad Asadov.
– In January, MP Elkhan Suleymanov`s personal website printed another book in 3 languages. Published in Azerbaijani, Polish and English, the book ”The Magic Building in the Former Persidskaya Street and its Author from Shamakhi” is dedicated to the Shamakhi-born architect of Polish origin Eugene Skibinski and the building he constructed in Baku in 1899. The idea of the publication belongs to Elkhan Suleymanov. The author of the text and design is Fuad Babayev. The book-album includes the photos by Elchin T. Aliyev and Farid Khayrullin.
– On January 29 – October 3, 2013, on the initiative of the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, MP Elkhan Suleymanov, the Azerbaijani delegation was on a visit to Poland. On the first day of the visit the delegation had an official meeting with the Polish deputy minister of Foreign Affairs Ms. Beata Stelmach. Minister of Education Misir Mardanov, Minister of Industry and Energy Natig Aliyev, rector of Baku State University Abel Maharramov, rector of Azerbaijan University of Languages Samed Seyidov, head of administration of Shamakhi district Asif Mammadov and other officials also took part in the meeting. A number of issues, including the further development of relations between Azerbaijan and Poland, Azerbaijan`s integration into the West, Poland`s support to the development of relations between the EU and Azerbaijan, Europe’s energy security were discussed. The other meetings of the delegation took place at the Strategic Training Institute in Krakow, Krakow University of Economics, the Jagiellonian University. At the end of meetings, protocols on cooperation were signed between Baku State University and Krakow University of Economics and the Jagiellonian University. The delegation had important meetings also in Warsaw.
Issues of mutual cooperation were discussed in the meeting with the members of the Polish Sejm. Elkhan Suleymanov noted that the relations between Azerbaijan and Poland started in the 14th century, the works by Nasimi, Khagani, Seyid Azim Shirvani were translated into Polish. He also presented the book ”The Magic Building in the Former Persidskaya Street and its Author from Shamakhi” dedicated to the Shamakhi-born architect of Polish origin Eugene Skibinski and the building he constructed in Baku and the book-album ”15 Buildings by 5 Polish Architects” devoted to the activities of the Polish architects in Azerbaijan at the end of the nineteenth century – the beginning of the twentieth century. On the fourth day, the delegation had meetings in Łódź Voivodeship. The protocol of intent on making Shamakhi and Konstantynów Łódzki twin cities was signed at the end of the meeting.
– The members of the delegation who visited Poland held a press conference on February 4, 2013. Speaking about the visit, the head of the delegation MP Elkhan Suleymanov called it productive by noting 9 meetings and 10 agreements arranged during the visit. At the press conference, the minister of Industry and Energy, head of the Azerbaijani-Polish intergovernmental commission Natig Aliyev, Minister of Education Misir Mardanov, rector of Baku State University Abel Maharramov, members of the parliament Fazil Mustafa, Gulchohra Mammadova, Samed Seyidov, Gudrat Hasanguliyev, Faraj Guliyev spoke about their impressions about the visit. The event was also attended by the Polish Ambassador to Azerbaijan Michael Labenda.
– On February 18, 2013, the PACE member Elkhan Suleymanov made a statement in connection with the presidential elections in Armenia. The statement protests
against the election of the person who has committed serious crimes against the innocent civilians and considers the elections illegitimate. The fact aggravating the situation is that Serzh Sargsyan, the former commander of the Armenian armed forces who massacred the innocent civilians in Khojali on February 26, 1992, was elected president. Taking these facts into consideration, Elkhan Suleymanov called on the international community and election observation missions to consider the presidential elections in Armenia illegitimate. He further demanded the European Union to refuse to sign the Association Agreement with Armenia until the occupied territories of Azerbaijan are liberated, the current situation be discussed in OSCE, PACE, European Parliament and other international organizations.
– On March 20, at the Paris Office of the Council of Europe (CoE), the next meeting of the Monitoring Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe Office in Paris (PACE) took place on the eve of spring session. The Committee members discussed the positive dialogue with Turkey, monitoring towards Hungary, issues related to Azerbaijan, Russia and Armenia. In his speech in the discussion of the Azerbaijan-related issue, Elkhan Suleymanov voiced strong accusations against Armenia. He protested evaluating the elections in Armenia, recognizing legitimate the election of the person, who has committed crime against humanity, and demanded this matter be discussed in the spring session of PACE. The committee members from the Armenian delegation and several pro-Armenian members did not let E.Suleymanov finish his speech full of strict accusations. In protest, the Azerbaijani members left the meeting hall.
– On March 28, 2013, two meetings were held in Shamakhi villages of Gushchu and Malikchobanli. The meeting in Gushchu was attended by MP Elkhan Suleymanov`s authorized representative Dayanat Musayev, PhD in history Muharram Zulfugarli, Executive Director of Free Speech Protection Foundation Vugar Tofigli and others. The participants spoke about the books published with the support of Elkhan Suleymanov and exchanged views on the current problems of local people. The meeting was held in the village school. During the meeting, teachers Eminali Mammadov, Karim Gulaliyev, Avaz Karimov, Agamirza Hasanov and others expressed their gratitude to Elkhan Suleymanov for the construction of potable water lines to villages, for his support and assistance to young people`s education. Later the guests were informed about the exiting problems. The meeting in Malikchobanli was attended by MP Elkhan Suleymanov`s authorized representative Dayanat Musayev, Gafarli, lawyer Arzukhan Ali-zade and others. The participants spoke about the books published with the support of Elkhan Suleymanov and exchanged views on the current problems of local people. The meeting took place in the house of culture of the village. Addressing the meeting, Sanan Abdullayev, Nagi Nuriyev, local akhund Bedirkhan Agayev and others thanked Elkhan Suleymanov for his support to the martyrs` families, Mothers Heroines, orphans on every holiday.
– On March 29, a scientific – practical conference ”The Armenian Vandalism against the Azerbaijanis: Shamakhi genocide in 1918” took place in Shamakhi.
The conference was organized by the Administration of Shamahi district and the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan, on the initiative of the President of the Association, MP Elkhan Suleymanov. In his speech at the conference, head of the district administration Asif Agayev spoke about the Shamakhi genocide. Vice-president of the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan Veli Alibeyli, PhD in history, associate-professor Muharram Zulfugarli, associate-professor of the University of Culture and Arts, PhD Minakhanim Asadli presented their reports at the conference. At the end of the conference, the participants were distributed books and CDs prepared by the Association on the genocide committed by the Armenians against the Azerbaijanis.
– In protest of the decision of the Board of the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum (EaP CSF) at the meeting in Armenia on April 4-5 on securing the representation for non-governmental organizations of breakaway regions (Nagorno-Karabakh, Abkhazia, North Ossetia and Transnistria) at the fifth annual meeting of CSF in Moldova and on starting discussions for allocating 10 seats for those NGOs under the title Eastern Partnership regions, the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly sent a letter of protest to the Euronest leadership on March 29, 2013. In his letter, E.Suleymanov states that the attempts of entering the phrase ”Eastern Partnership Region” into political circulation are provocative and can cause severe consequences. ”By protesting the decision of the Board of the EaP CSF,
especially calling Nagorno-Karabakh an ”Eastern Partnership Region”, we stated that Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding regions occupied by Armenia
are an integral part of Azerbaijan under international law.”
– On May 2, 2013, MP Elkhan Suleymanov addressed 9 questions to the President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz, to the European Commission¸ to the foreign ministers of the member-countries of the European Union, to the co-presidents of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly Kristian Vigenin and Boris Tarasyuk, to all the members of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly in connection with the elections in Armenia.
– On May 4, the book competition dedicated by the Azerbaijan Publishers Union to the 90th anniversary of the national leader of Azerbaijan Heydar Aliyev was completed. According to the results of the competition, the book ”20 Sketches on Baku” published by the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan was awarded the first place. The idea of the book belonged to the President of the Association, MP Elkhan Suleymanov. The book ”Historical Azerbaijani States” (Baku, 2012) published by Heydar Aliyev Heritage Research Center (www.aliyevheritage.org) was awarded a special diploma of the competition. The book was printed in CBS Polygraph Production printing house. The ideas on both of the books were put forward by MP Elkhan Suleymanov, President of the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan, head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, member of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe.
– On May 16, 2013, at the invitation of the chairman of the Foreign Policy Committee of the Slovenian Parliament Janja Klasinc, the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, including the chairman Elkhan Suleymanov, members Fazil Mustafa, Gudrat Hasanguliyev, Jeyhun Osmanli, Minister of Industry and Energy of the Republic of Azerbaijan Natig Aliyev paid a visit to Slovenia. On the first day of the visit, the delegation visited the grave of the Hero of the Soviet Union Mehdi Huseyn-zade in the village of Cepovan. During the visit, the delegation met the members of the Foreign Policy Committee and the Committee on EU issues of the Slovenian parliament. At the meeting with the chairman of the Slovenian parliament Janko Veber, the sides discussed the historical relations and prospects of cooperation between the two countries. The Azerbaijani delegation was also received by the prime minister of the Republic of Slovenia Alenka Bratušek. At the meeting and the press conference, the elegation informed about the occupation of 20% of our territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and adjacent territories by Armenia as the biggest problem of Azerbaijan. In order to disrupt the visit of our delegation to Slovenia, chairman of the Armenian delegation to the Euronest PA Zakaryan officially requested the Slovenian parliament to stop the event. Yet the request did not have any effect on the successful activities and delivering
Azerbaijan`s fair position in Slovenia.
– On May 20, 2013, the third Sabir recitation contest initiated by the President of the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan (ASCDA), MP Elkhan Suleymanov and organized by the Free Speech Protection Foundation and ASCDA ended. The presentation ceremony and exhibition regarding
the contest took place in the Palace of Culture in Shamakhi. In his speech, chairman of Foundation Musa Yagub noted that 193 people participated in the final round of the contest`s third edition. According to him, 29 persons receive Sabir scholarship, 2 person Seyid Azim Shirvani scholarship monthly Elkhan Suleymanov`s initiative. In his turn, Elkhan Suleymanov stated that Shamakhi had been the birthplace of many icons of the Azerbaijani culture, including Sabir. Stating that a broader presentation with the winners of all the editions will be organized in Baku, he presented diplomas and money rewards to 12 winners. The contest is aimed at popularizing Sabir among the youth, supporting his works in educational process, motivating active pupils and students.
– On 21 May 2013, the 10th annual conference of the Parliamentary Network of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund was organized on the initiative and support of Elkhan Suleymanov. The video-addresses of CEO of the IMF Christine Lagarde and President of the World Bank Jim Yong Kim were presented at the opening ceremony. President of the Parliamentary Network Alain Destexhe informed that the event was attended by 250 visitors from 75 countries. According to APA, the event was reported by foreign mass media, including Wall Street Journal, Marketwatch, Boston Globe, Business Journal, Yahoo!, Deutsche Presse Agentur, Austria Presse Agentur, Finanz Nachrichten.
– In May, the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan chaired by Elkhan Suleymanov declared the start of the project ”Sarsang – Prevention
of the Humanitarian Catastrophe”. Vice-president of the Association Vali Alibayov gave information on the project and said that 4 water reservoirs are available in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan. Armenia`s funds are not sufficient to repair those reservoirs. It was also informed that international conferences featuring experts from international organizations in Baku and Brussels are planned within the framework of the project.
– On May 25, 2013, a meeting of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly took place in the Azerbaijani parliament MP Elkhan Suleymanov made an interesting statement there. According to him, there is anemergency situation in Sarsang water reservoir (previously in Agdara, presently in Tartar) due to the Armenian occupation: ”Any accident in this reservoir may ravage 7 unoccupied districts of Azerbaijan and affect 400,000 people.”
– On June 10, an international conference ”Azerbaijan`s Geopolitics and Energy Security in Europe” organized by the Industrie Magazin Verlag took place in Vienna, Austria. The moderators of the conference were the former Austrian Chancellor Alfred Gusenbauer and the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly Elkhan Suleymanov. The delegation participating
in the conference included minister of Industry and Energy Natig Aliyev, members of the parliament Gudrat Hasanguliyev and Fazil Mustafa. The event was attended by the Israeli ambassador to Austria Aviv Shir-On, the former trade and industry minister of Italy, President of Farefuture Fund Adolfo Urso, members of the parliament, ambassadors, employees of scientific community and institutions, students, representatives of big companies and leading media. The participants exchanged views on Azerbaijan as a reliable supplier of oil and gas and a stable ally of the West in the unstable Southern Caucasus, spoke about the energy, economy, relations with the EU, religious tolerance and intercultural dialogue. Broad discussions were conducted on Nagorno-Karabakh problem that threatens the stability in the region and its consequences. In his speech at the conference, Elkhan Suleymanov informed that after regaining its independence 22 years ago, Azerbaijan declared building a civil, democratic, legal state based on the market economy, as well as integrating into Europe as the priorities of domestic and foreign policy. He noted that Azerbaijan faced the military aggression of Armenia in the early years of independence. Nagorno-Karabakh region and 7 surrounding districts were occupied, while a million of Azerbaijanis have become refugees and internally displaced persons as a result of the aggression. E.Suleymanov also called on the politicians and media representatives participating in the conference to assist Azerbaijan in informing the international community to prevent a humanitarian crisis that may arise because of an accident in the water reservoir and alarming the international organizations to take emergency measures.
– On June 20, 2013, a ceremony dedicated to Sabir recitation contests in 2011-2013 took place in Rashid Behbudov Song Theatre. In his speech, Elkhan Suleymanov stated that Shamakhi was the birthplace of many icons of the Azerbaijani culture, including Sabir. At the end of the event, the winners presented their performances.
– In July 2013, the article ”Azerbaijan defends commitment to defending human rights” by the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, MP Elkhan Suleymanov was included in foreign media. The article is reported to be posted on 332 online websites in English, German, French.
– At the invitation of the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, MP Elkhan Suleymanov, a delegation consisting of the members of the European Parliament was on a visit to Azerbaijan on July 8-9, 2013. The delegation included Mario David (Portugal), Ms. Rachida Dati (France), Filip Kaczmarek (Poland), Ms. Elena Antonesku (Romania), as well as the former MP Jorge Morgado (Portugal). The delegation was accompanied by the member of the Belgian federal parliament Alain Destexhe. The delegation got acquainted with the conditions of IDPs in the settlement of Mushfigabad and had a helicopter tour to an IDP settlement in Aghdam.
– On September 2, a draft resolution signed by 45 MPs from 18 countries on Sarsang water reservoir occupied by Armenia was considered in the Bureau members of the Council of Europe. In this connection, President of ACSDA, member of PACE Elkhan Suleymanov sent a letter to the President of PACE Claude Mignon, PACE Secretary General Woyciech Sawicki and Bureau members.
– On September 9, 2013, Elkhan Suleymanov met the Shamakhi-based students admitted to the universities with high sores, in his Shamakhi office. Seven
students from Shamahi, who scored over 600 points were awarded with valuable prizes and scholarships. 33 winners of Sabir recitation contests in 2011-2013
and 14 students admitted to universities in 2011-2012 were given monthly scholarships instituted by MP Elkhan Suleymanov.
– On September 9, 2013, an international conference ”SOS Sarsang” organized by ACSDA was held in Tartar within the framework of the project ”Sarsang – Prevention of the Humanitarian Catastrophe”. The event was attended by President of the Association, MP Elkhan Suleymanov, the head of administration
of Tartar Jeyhun Safarov, official of the Ministry of Emergency Situations (MES) Tariel Huseynov, chairman of the Azerbaijani-Finnish inter-parliamentary
friendship group, MP Eoro Lehti, political expert from Russia Sergey Markov, former member of the Greek Parliament Spiridon Kouvelis, former member of the
German Bundestag Hakki Keskin, 10 representatives of foreign media and other officials. E.Suleymanov said that the Association had launched a large-scale project on Sarsang water reservoir. According to him, the Karabakh problem was announced the main direction.
– On October 4, 2013, a new publication of the Association Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan (ACSDA), the photo-album ”Sketches on Baku” was printed. It is an updated and improved version of the photo-album ”20 Sketches on Baku” which was published two years ago. Dedicated to the 20th anniversary
of Azerbaijan`s independence, the publication aroused great interest of readers and visitors and was highly appreciated by professionals. The photoalbum was awarded the main prize of the Book Art competition dedicated by the Azerbaijan Publishers Union to the 90th anniversary of the national leader of Azerbaijan Heydar Aliyev. The photo-album became a rarity, thus, created a necessity for a new version. It delivers the past and present of Baku to readers with photos and concise texts. The publication contains photos by renowned Azerbaijani photographers, as well as foreign photographers, such as Fabrizio Giraldi (Italy), Alexander Belenkiy (Russia), Vitaliy Yevdokimov (Uzbekistan). The idea of the publication belongs to the President of the Association, MP Elkhan Suleymanov, while the head of the creative group is Fuad Babayev.
– On the initiative of the President of the Association, MP Elkhan Suleymanov, the publication of Heydar Aliyev Heritage Research Center ”Historical Azerbaijani States” was printed as a pocket book. Initally published in Azerbaijani, English, Armenian, Georgian, Ukrainian and Moldovan in last, ”Historical Azerbaijani States” was spread among the partakers of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly session held in Baku.
– The Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan (ACSDA) announced a competition ”Cry of Sarsang” for young artists within the framework of the project aimed at preventing a possible humanitarian disaster in Sarsang water reservoir. Artists aged 18-35 can take part in the competition. The oil paintings should also contain the artists` names, cell
phone numbers, e-mail addresses, as well as the names of the works. The award fund is as following: first place – 1,000 manats, second place – 750 manats,
third place – 500 manats. Five encouraging prizes each worth of 250 manats are also considered for artists. The works will be accepted during the period
of February 1-15, 2014. Further information will be posted on avciya.az. The exhibition will be held in Tartar in February 2014.
of Elkhan Suleymanov,
Member of the Azerbaijani Parliament from Shamakhi,
head of the Azerbaijani Delegation to Euronest Parliamentary Assembly and
member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe,
on his activities within a year
(1 December 2011 – 31 December 2012)
Petitions of voters
Within the last year member of the Azerbaijani Parliament from Shamakhi Elkhan Suleymanov received hundreds of letters, applications and complaints of various contents. In total, 897 written applications were addressed to him by the voters from 1 December 2011 to 31 December 2012, 301 out of those applications deal with social, 215 with economic, 381 with other problems, including financial aid requests.
Along with the written applications there were 513 oral requests; 102 requests were concerned to social problems, 157 to economic problems, 254 other problems.
All the received applications were carefully investigated, and appropriate actions were taken regarding each of them. In connection with some petitions, requests were sent to relevant bodies, and the outcomes were reported to the applicants. In addition, 195 applications were considered groundless in terms of law, and proper explanations were provided to the applicants.
Receptions and meetings with the voters
Within the reported period, MP Suleymanov had regular meetings with voters from Shamakhi. Moreover, 39 mass meetings, 37 press conferences and briefings took place, suggestions and problems of voters were listened to. Including meetings:
– with the residents of Shamakhi on December 28, 2011, on the occasion of the New Year and on March 16, 2012, on the occasion of the holiday of Novruz, with heroine mothers and mothers having many children on March 7, 2012; with villagers, whose houses suffered as a result of landslide in the villages of Meysari and Muganli on March 22, 2012; with the veterans of the Great Patriotic War on May 7, 2012; with the residents of the villages of Mirikand and Meysari at iftar (dinner) organized on the occasion of the month of Ramadan; with students, who earned more than 600 points at the entrance examinations to higher schools in the academic year of 2011-2012, as well as with S.A.Shirvani scholarship-holders and winners of Sabir reading competition on September 14, 2012 on the occasion of the start of a new academic year; with teachers and pupils, as well as with parents of the first graders of Shamakhi town School 2 on September 15, 2012 on the occasion of the start of a new academic year; with teachers and pupils of the school of the villages of Damirchi and Archiman on the same day.
– The Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan (ACSDA) headed by Elkhan Suleymanov and the Fund of Protection of the Freedom of Speech organized a seminar on 14 March 2012 with the teachers of the Azerbaijani language and literature working in Shamakhi;
– the book “Great Azerbaijani poets from Shamakhi” written by the late Bakir Nabiyev academician of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences at the request and support of Elkhan Suleymanov, was published on 28 March 2012. The book includes essays by B.Nabiyev on the great Azerbaijani poets brought up by the ancient and rich Shirvan literary environment – Afzaladdin Khagani, Imadaddin Nasimi, Seyid Azim Shirvani, Mirza Alakbar Sabir, Abbas Sahhat and Mahammad Hadi. The editor of the book is Asim Rustamli, Doctor of Philological Sciences. The publication is designed for a wide range of readers;
– The presentation of the book “Dovrun deyirmani” (“Mill of the period”) published on the occassion of the 75th anniversary of the poet Musa Yaqub took place on 27 April 2012. The book was printed with the financial support of Elkhan Suleymanov. The book comprises verses and poems written by Musa Yaqub in different years.
– Meeting with the residents in the settlement of Shahriyar and the village of Adnali of Shamakhi on 19 May 2012; in the village of Charhan on 11 July 2012; in the village of Meysari on 30 July 2012; in the settlement of Goylar on 23 October 2012 on the occasion of opening of Sabir springs constructed with the direct support of Elkhan Suleymanov;
During this period 79 charity events were held, including:
– New Year presents were distributed to children (1150 in total) in all kindergartens in Shamakhi on 28 December 2012 on the occasion of the New Year;
– Presents were given to 100 women working in municipalities in Shamakhi district on March 1, 2012 on the occasion of the International Women`s Day;
– Presents were given to 176 heroine Mothers from Shamakhi on March 7, 2012 on the occasion of the International Women`s Day;
– Holiday gifts were presented to 70 martyrs families registered in the Shamakhi district on 16 March 2012 on the occasion of the holiday of Novruz;
– Meetings were held with 13 families, whose houses were suffered from the landslide in the villages of Meysari and Muganli, and holiday gifts were presented to them on 22 March 2012;
– The resident of the village of Meysari Valida Hasanova was rendered financial assistance for surgical operation of her daughter on 22 March 2012;
– The book “M.A.Sabir: his life and writings” by PhD in Philology Eyvaz Eminaliyev was printed with the support Elkhan Suleymanov in March 2012;
– Holiday gifts were presented to the veterans of the Great Patriotic War on 7 May 2012 on the occasion of the Victory Day;
– Aysun Akhundova was rendered financial assistance for paying tuition fees in April 2012;
– The Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan (ACSDA) headed by Elkhan Suleymanov and the Fund of Protection of the Freedom of Speech organized the second recitation competition dedicated to the great satirist M.A.Sabir in Shamakhi. The recitation contest ended on May 18, and books were presented to the participants. The first place winners received 150 manats, the second place winners 100 manats, the third place winners 50 manats from Elkhan Suleymanov. In addition, the first 30 place holders were presented incentive diplomas. Moreover, each of 10 winners of last year’s competition and the prizewinners of this year`s competition receives the Sabir scholarship worth 50 manat per month;
– The opening ceremony of the Sabir springs constructed with the support of Elkhan Suleymanov took place in the settlement of Sharhiyar and the village of Adnali of Shamakhi district on May 19, 2012;
– The opening ceremony of the Sabir spring constructed with the support of Elkhan Suleymanov took place in the village of Charhan of Shamakhi district on July 11, 2012;
– The opening ceremony of the Sabir spring constructed with the support of Elkhan Suleymanov took place in the village of Meysari of Shamakhi district on July 24, 2012;
– The opening ceremony of the Sabir spring constructed with the support of Elkhan Suleymanov took place in the village of Goylar of Shamakhi district on October 23, 2012;
– Ramadan dinner events were organized with the support of Elkhan Suleymanov in the villages of Mirikand and Meysari of Shamakhi district;
– A meeting with 8 students from Shamakhi, who had schored over 600 points in the entrance exams and entered higher schools of Azerbaijan, took place on 20 August 2012, and each of them was assigned a monthly scholarship of 100 manats;
– Each of the Sabir competition winners and the S.A.Shirvani scholarship holders (19 persons in total) were given birthday gifts in the current year;
– All 34 scholarship holders were presented gifts by Elkhan Suleymanov on 14 September 2012 on the occasion of the new academic year;
– The two-fold world and European champion in freestyle wrestling Ruslan Surkhayev from Shamakhi was congratulated with presents on 14 September 2012;
– The Knowledge Day Event took place in the School 2 in Shamakhi on 15 September 2012, 100 first graders of the school were congratulated by Elkhan Suleymanov with presents, the assembly hall of the school was presented a microphone and sound amplifiers for organizing identical events, as well as a portrait of M.A.Sabir;
– On 15 September 2012, the elementary class pupils of Archiman village school of Shamakhi were presented gifts, including sets of school supplies by Elkhan Suleymanov, while the school was given a portrait of M.A.Sabir, a computer set and a printer as well;
– Two classrooms of the Archiman village school of Shamakhi were fully repaired on the occasion of the new academic year;
– In October three vehicles of wood were sent for heating village school in Archiman of Shamakhi;
– The roof of Demirchi village school of Shamakhi was replaced on the occasion of the new academic year;
– On 15 September 2012, elementary class pupils of Demirchi village school of Shamakhi were presented gifts, including sets of school supplies by Elkhan Suleymanov, while the school was presented a portrait of M.A.Sabir, a computer set and a printer;
– On 26 October 2012, meat was distributed to 70 martyrs families on the occasion of the Sacrifice Holiday of residing in Shamakhi and to the families of 34 persons receiving scholarships from Elkhan Suleymanov on the occasion of this holiday;
– Children of Kamran Musayev, a resident of Shamakhi were provided with school supplies;
– It was decided to pay 50 manats as a pension monthly to Leyla Eyvazova, a resident of Shamakhi;
– Gunay Aghajanova, a resident of Shamakhi, was rendered financial assistance for medical treatment of her children;
– On 27-30 December 2012, New Year gifts were presented to 1140 children enrolled in 22 kindergartens of Shamakhi, as well as to 166 Heroine Mothers and mothers who have many children, to 35 war veterans and to 70 martyrs families on the occasion of the New Year;
– On 29 December 2012, Elkhan Suleymanov visited children at Kindergarten. 2 in Shamakhi and presented New Year gifts to them. Later in his Shamakhi office he met 35 students and pupils, whom he grants scholarships, congratulated them on the occasion of the New Year and gave them holiday gifts.
Domestic and international activity
Along with his activity in Shamakhi district, Elkhan Suleymanov successfully carries out his activity in the sphere of foreign policy as a member of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, and the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, deputy chairman of the Parliamentary Assembly and a bureau member, head of the working group on the Azerbaijani-Belgian inter-parliamentary relations. On his direct initiative and support, a number of major projects were carried out, a variety of events held in Azerbaijan and abroad. Including:
– On his initiative and invitation, a delegation consisting of members of the European Parliament and PACE led by Ilkka Kanerva, head of the Finnish delegation to the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly, visited Azerbaijan on 9-11 January 2012. During the visit aimed at acquaintance with Azerbaijan and official meetings, the members of the delegation –head of the Finnish delegation to the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly Mr. Ilkka Kanerva, member of the European Parliament Mr. Hannu Takkula, member of the Finnish parliament and the PACE Ms. Sirkka-Liisa Anttila and a former member of PACE Mr. Jaakko Laakso met the head of the staff in the Presidential Administration of Azerbaijan Ramiz Mehdiyev, first deputy chairman of the Azerbaijani Parliament Ziyafat Asgarov, deputy Prime Minister of Azerbaijan and the chairman of State Committee for the Issues of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Ali Hasanov. According to the agreement reached during the meetings, the Azerbaijan-Finnish inter-parliamentary friendship and cooperation plans were discussed, a specific plan of action was agreed upon. On January 11, the Finnish parliamentarians visited an IDP settlement in Agdam by helicopter.
– Organized by the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan (ACSDA) headed by Elkhan Suleymanov and the Joint Working Group on the Implementation of International Standards of Human Rights, an international conference “Crimes against humanity: the Khojaly genocide” took place on 24 February 2012. The views of different experts on the Khojaly genocide and its consequences were listened to at the conference;
– On the initiative and organization of the chairman of the working group on the Azerbaijani-Belgian inter-parliamentary relations, president of the Association for the Development of Civil Society in Azerbaijan Elkhan Suleymanov, the discussions on “The occupied territories, the forgotten areas: legal and humanitarian aspects of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict over the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict” were held in the Congress hall of the Belgian Federal Parliament on 5-8 March 2012. The deputy prime minister of Azerbaijan c and chairman of the State Committee for the Issues of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Ali Hasanov, deputy minister of Economic Development Sevinj Hasanova, members of the Azerbaijani Parliament, director of the European Strategic Intelligence and Security Center Claude Moniquet, founder of the Lawyers Without Borders Pierre Legros, members of the Parliament of the Kingdom of Belgium, chairman of the working group on the Belgium-Azerbaijani inter-parliamentary relations Philippe Blanchard and other officials took partd in discussions;
– On 12 March 2012, the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan (ACSDA) headed by Elkhan Suleymanov and the Joint Working Group on the Implementation of International Standards of Human Rights organized a round table on the topic “Crimes committed by the Armenians against humanity: the Shamakhi genocide of 1918”. In his speech Elkhan Suleymanov informed the participants about the multilateral activities of the Association for informing the world community about the crimes committed by the Armenians against the Azerbaijanis and on the distribution of books printed in foreign languages within the framework of the project “Armenian atrocity in Azerbaijan – Shamakhi genocide (1918)” of the Association he chairs.
– Co-authored by Elkhan Suleymanov and PhD in economics Vurgun Suleymanov, a book titled “The armed aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan and the grave consequences of the occupation” has been published. The complex issues aimed at determination of material and moral damage caused to Azerbaijan as a result of the aggression have been studied in the book for the first time;
– The second session of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly took place in Baku on 2-4 April 2012. Elkhan Suleymanov authored the idea of the book “Historical Azerbaijani states” published by Heydar Aliyev Heritage Research Center in Azerbaijani and English, as well as in the languages of other member-states (Georgian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Armenian) on the eve of the session of the Parliamentary Assembly, on 30 March. The book includes information on the historical Azerbaijani states, including Atabeys, Safavids, Karakoyunlu, Akkoyunlu. The advisor of the book is Professor Ilyas Babayev associate member of the National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan, Doctor of Historical Sciences, the creative group is headed by Fuad Babayev, PhD in political sciences;
– A conference dedicated to the latest edition of Chart Minuta, the quarterly magazine on foreign affairs of FareFuture Fondazione (Make Future) of the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of Italy was held on 17 April 2012. Organized with the support of MP Mr. Adolfo Urso, the event was attended by nearly 75 Italian MPs, men of science, businesspeople, representatives of media and civil society. The magazine presented the book “The armed aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan and the grave consequences of the occupation” co-authored by Elkhan Suleymanov;
– On the initiative and invitation of Elkhan Suleymanov, a delegation consisting of the chairpersons of the Finnish youth organizations visited Baku on 2-4 May 2012;
– On the initiative of Elkhan Suleymanov Programme Manager of the Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy Kati Piri and local representative of NIMD in Georgia Levan Tsutskiridze visited Azerbaijan on 3-5 June 2012, had meetings and exchange views with the hairs of the parties within the framework of the visit;
– On the initiative and invitation of Elkhan Suleymanov a delegation consisting of members of the European Parliament and the German Bundestag visited Azerbaijan on 5-10 June 2012. The delegation included the members of the European Parliament Horst Schnellhardt, Markus Ferber, members of Bundestag Tankred Schipanski, Thomas Bareib, Christoph Graber, former member of Bundestag and PACE Eduard Lintner, staff-members of the German Ministry of Industry Tim Brauckmüller and Dimos Gatidis. During the visit the guests met deputy prime minister of the Republic of Azerbaijan, chairman of the State Committee for the Issues of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Ali Hasanov and got acquianted with the life of IDPs living in dormitories in Baku. The German MPs also met minister of Industry and Energy Natig Aliyev, minister of Foreign Affairs Elmar Mammadyarov, head of the Department of Foreign Relations in the Presidential Administration Novruz Mammadov, vice-President of SOCAR Elshad Nasirov, Executive Director of the State Oil Fund Shahmar Movsumov, mMinister of Economic Development Shahin Mustafayev and mMinister of Agriculture Ismet Abbasov;
– Presentation of the book “Republic of Azerbaijan – Kingdom of Belgium: 1992-2012” published by Heydar Aliyev Heritage Research Center Elkhan Suleymanov was the advisor of the book, then a conference dedicated to the 20th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between Azerbaijan and Belgium took place in Baku on 14 June 2012. Charge d’Affaires of the embassy of Belgium to Azerbaijan Peter Booms, former co-chairman of the working group on the Belgium-Azerbaijan inter-parliamentary relations Alain Destexhe, head of the Information Department of the MFA of Azerbaijan Javanshir Mammadov, members of the Azerbaijani Parliament and other officials attended the event and delivered speeches;
– Presentation of the documentary “Memory of history: Shamakhi” prepared by the Association for Civil Society Development in Azerbaijan headed by Elkhan Suleymanov and the Eurasian Institute of International Studies, with E.Suleymanov being the author of the idea and organizer, took place in Shamakhi on 30 July 2012. At the presentation of the documentary dedicated to the genocide committed by the Armanian Dashnaks in Shamakhi in March 1918, members of the Azerbaijani Parliament Elkhan Suleymanov, Ganira Pashayeva, Gudrat Hasanguliyev, Fazil Gazanfaroglu, as well as the head of the European Journalists Association Adnan Fishenk from Turkey and others spoke about the importance of the film in terms of the exposure of the historical truth about the genocide committed by the Armenians and conveying it to the public. It was noted that the Armenian armed gangs led by Stepan Shaumyan and Lalayan committed mass slaughter of the Azerbaijani Turks in Shamakhi and in its 58 villages, massacred 8,047 people, burned 58 villages according to the incomplete research of investigation commission created then;
– On the invitation of Elkhan Suleymanov a group of members of the European Parliament (16 persons) paid a visit to Shamakhi on 1 September. They were accompanied by the members of the parliament Elkhan Suleymanov and Ganira Pashayeva. The European guests got acquainted with Shamakhi Medical Treatment and Diagnostic Center, as well as with the repair and reconstruction works in Friday mosque (built in 743), the most ancient and magnificent mosque in the Caucasus. They were informed about the genocide committed by the Armenian Dashnaks in Shamakhi in 1918, including the massacre of more than 1,500 people – children, elderly, women, who were burned alive in the mosque. The members of the European Parliament also visited the Shahkhandan cemetery of Shamakhi to pay tribute to the famous Azerbaijani poet and enlightener S.A.Shirvani, whose grave was restored on the initiative and support of Elkhan Suleymanov;
– The views of Elkhan Suleymanov on the release of Ramil Safarov were published in nearly 300 mass media organs of the world. Among them are “Wall Street Journal”, “Boston Business Journal”, “Bloomberg”, “Telegraph India”, “The Herald”, “News Times”, “CNBS”, “Daily Hearld”, “Japan Times” and others;
– On 27-28 September, Elkhan Suleymanov and the Institute for European Affairs organized an international conference on the topic “Building bridges” in Baku. The conference was attended by over 40 high-ranking delegates from 14 countries of Europe. Among them were local state and government officials, European politicians, former government officials, parliamentarians, ministers and other government officials, as well as incumbent and former officials of the EU structures;
– On the initiative and invitation of Elkhan Suleymanov a delegation consisting of political advisors of the European Parliament visited Azerbaijan from 31 October to 3 November. Within the framework of the visit, the delegation met the deputy chairman of the State Committee for the Issues of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Garay Farhadov, deputy secretary-general of the New Azerbaijan Party, MP Mubariz Gurbanly, head of the Human Rights Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan Alimirzamin Asgerov, vice-President of SOCAR Elshad Nasirov, members of the Azerbaijani delegation to Euronest PA, local opposition parties, including chairman of All Azerbaijani Popular Front Party Gudrat Hasanguliyev, chairman of the National Revival Movement Party Faraj Guliyev, chairman of the Great Salvation Party Fazil Mustafa, as well as civil society activists;
– On the initiative and support of Elkhan Suleymanov, hearings on the Armenian- Azerbaijani conflict over the Nagorno-Karabakh were held in the Finnish parliament on 7 November 2012. The chairman of the State Committee for the Issues of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Ali Hasanov, deputy minister of Economic Development Sevinj Hasanova, members of the working group on the Azerbaijani-Finnish parliamentary relations Elkhan Suleymanov and Ayaz Orujov, as well as MPs Fazil Mustafa, Zahid Oruj, Jeyhun Osmanli took part in the hearings. Chairman of the Finnish-Azerbaijani Friendship Group Eero Heikki Lehti, former Special Representative of the European Union for the Caucasus, ambassador Heikki Talvitie, director of the Aleksanteri Institute on the Oriental Studies, professor the University of Helsinki Markku Kivinen and member of the Finnish parliament Elisabeth Naucler delivered speeches during the hearings. During the visit the members of the delegation also took part at a reception in the town hall of Helsinki. Meetings with the speaker of the Parliament of Finland Eero Heinäluoma, chairman of the Finnish-Azerbaijani friendship group Eero Heikki Lehti and Finnish businesspeople also took place within the frames of the visit.
– On the initiative and organizational support of Elkhan Suleymanov a conference titled “Azerbaijan is now in Europe. Establishment of confidence between Azerbaijan and Spain” was held, it was dedicated to the expansion of partnership between Azerbaijan and Spain, as well as to the grave consequences of the military aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan in the Spanish Senate on 22 November 2012. From Azerbaijan chairman of the State Committee for the Issues of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Ali Hasanov, the deputy minister of Economic Development Sevinj Hasanova, ambassador of Azerbaijan to Spain Altay Efendiyev, head of department on problems of refugees and internally displaced persons, migration and work with international organizations in the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan Gurban Sadigov, chairman of the Social Development Fund of Internally Displaced Persons, MP Ayaz Orujov, MPs Gudrat Hasanguliyev, Fazil Mustafa, Faraj Guliyev, Zahid Oruj and Jeyhun Osmanli took part at the conference. The event hosted by vice-president of the Senate of Spain Juan Jose Lucas and Spanish Senator José María Chiquillo was attended by 80 senators and their deputies, about 70 academicians, professors, media representatives, as well as well-known scientists, businesspeople and NGO representatives (more than 180 prominent public and political figures in total);
– A conference titled “Azerbaijan in the 21st century. Building confidence between Azerbaijan and Andorra” was held in the building of the supreme legislative body of Andorra – General Council on 14 December 2012. The conference organized on the initiative and organizational support of Elkhan Suleymanov was attended by the chairman of the State Committee for the Issues of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons Ali Hasanov, the deputy minister of Economic Development Sevinj Hasanova, MPs Gudrat Hasanguliyev, Fazil Mustafa, Faraj Guliyev, Zahid, Oruj, Jeyhun Osmanli and Ayaz Orujov, editor-in-chief of the journal “National Assembly (Milli Majlis)” Ulviyya Abdullayeva and ambassador of Azerbaijan to Spain Altay Efendiyev. From the Andorran side, the President of the General Council of Andorra Vicenç Mateu Zamora, members of the parliament, representatives of the Andorran government and Chamber of Commerce, delegates of NGOs, civil society and media took part in the conference. The Armenian aggression against Azerbaijan, the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh and surrounding territories, as well as strengthening the economic cooperation between Azerbaijan and Andorra, aspects of international energy security were among the topics discussed in the conference.
– On 27 December, the book “Shamakhi as a red terror target: 1930-1940s repressions” was presented, it is about the repressions committed in Shamakhi in the 1930-1940s. Co-authored by MP Elkhan Suleymanov, PhD in history Maharram Zulfugarli and PhD in history Dayanat Musayev and printed in Azerbaijani and English, the book comprehensively deals with the Soviet repressions committed in the 1930-1940s in Shamakhi, particularly the Takla tragedy and the Shamakhi process. The book contains thorough information on the Shamakhi victims of the Soviet repression machine.
– The photo-album titled “The second regular session of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly (2-4 April 2012, Baku, Azerbaijan”, which is the new publication of the personal website (www.elkhan-suleymanov.az) of MP Elkhan Suleymanov was printed. The photo-album contains about 200 photos, it includes the texts of speeches by the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, by the chairman of the parliament Ogtay Asadov, by the European Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Stefan Füle and by the head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly Elkhan Suleymanov. The book was published in Azerbaijani and English, as well as in the languages of other member-states of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly (Georgian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Armenian).
– Elkhan Suleymanov became the winner of the “MP of the Year”, by an online survey conducted by the site rating.info. in which Elkhan Suleymanov collected 26% of all the votes.
The Shamakhi office of Elkhan Suleymanov regularly organized legal aid to the residents of Shamakhi. Over the said period 175 persons were provided with lawyers who rendered legal advice, while applications of 82 persons were directly studied upon request and their problems were positively solved.
Relevant ministries, state committees were repeatedly addressed by MP Elkhan Suleymanov in connection with the problems of Shamakhi. But some appeals unfortunately have been neglected, sometimes ignored.
I am proud of representing Shamakhi in parliament – a land of poets with ancient history, rich culture, fascinating nature, fertile soil, hard-working and wise people.
I speak on behalf of you in Baku. I am indebted to you for the privilege to speak loudly and clearly on your behalf. Consequently, as the parliamentarian from Shamakhi, I consider it my duty to familiarize you with my one-year performance in the Milli Maclis. My activity are evident and up to your judgment. You are the only criteria to assess my performance as a parliamentarian and your evaluation is decisive for me.
Over the year, I have been trying to be with you, get informed of and understand your problems, be conducive to improvement of people’s welfare and play a role in improving the public service. I gained great experience from direct contacts with you. However, it is impossible to solve your problems and those of Shamakhi within a year as they have amassed for over many years.
Politics is the art of possibilities. During my election campaign, I promised you to do my utmost for the resolution of problems in public service and for the improvement of people’s welfare in the 21st century. Most of you are aware that I did my best to solve them. What have been achieved is reflected in this book. However, Shamakhi is not the only issue to be dealt with by our beloved state – the Republic of Azerbaijan. Unfortunately, indifference and carelessness of relevant bodies often prevented us from solving a number of your pressing problems. However, we should not lose our hopes and look forward to as life goes on and I am fully loyal to my goal of serving you.
The priority of parliamentarians in all developed countries is to serve their voters. I will also continue my activities in 2012 in order to work harder and be more effective for you. I am always with you.
With kindest regards,
MP Elxan Suleymanov of Shamakhi.